Writtle Village

The Parish of Writtle is located close to the county town of Chelmsford in Essex.

Writtle has all the elements associated with a traditional English countryside village, lovingly maintained Tudor houses, ancient Church, the Village Green with its duck pond, and of course a good selection of traditional English Public Houses.

The Village is a regular holder of the annual "Best kept Village in Essex" award.

If you have any comments please use our contact form.

 Writtle Green 

Writtle Historical Dates

1086 The Doomsday book states the population of Writtle as 900.
1211 King John built a Hunting Lodge of timber and thatch in Lordship Road.
1274 Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland 1306-1329 is born in Writtle.

1593 Dr. John Bastwick born in Writtle, Scholar and Puriton.
1717 Writtle Workhouse built.
1730 Hylands House built by Sir John Comyns.
1800 Tower of Church fell down.
1848 Girls and Infants school built in Church Lane, attended by 200 children.
1891 Blue Bridge rebuilt after being swept away by floods.
1894 First Parish Council meeting.
1922 First regular broadcasts of Marconi radio from Lawford Lane.
1938 Agricultural College built at Lordships, Sturgeons and Daws Farm.
1969 Library opens in the old Board School on the Green.
1975 Christian centre built on site of old schools.
1987 Opening of Writtle By-Pass.
1997 Pedestrianisation of Wear Pond.

a parish map of


booklet & Map

available from

Wendy Hibbitt

01245 421265